Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken Salad


I love a good chicken salad but I rarely make it at home. 

My BFF Laurie gags at the thought of Chicken Salad.  It's her main food she can't eat.  I think we all have those.  Mine is scrambled eggs. 

I am very picky with my chicken salads.  There are very few that I actually end up liking but this one was the perfect blend of savory and sweet.  My grocery store was completely out of green grapes so I only used red grapes but that didn't seem to matter.  My girls wouldn't touch it but they are the pickiest eaters alive.  I will make this again for sure. 



Ingredients:

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup thinly sliced celery
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup green grapes , halved
1/2 cup red grapes, halved
1 pkg (2 oz) sliced almonds (toasted)


Combine first 4 ingredients.  Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Combine mayo, salt and pepper.  Add mayo mixture, grapes and almonds to chilled chicken mixture; toss gently.  

I put mine on croissants and served with fruit. 


7 comments:

  1. I love chicken salad so I will definitely be trying this! Normally I don't attempt chicken salad recipes because I'm not sure how to do the chicken. Did you use chicken breast cooked in the oven? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Anne when i make chicken salad i boil the chicken until cooked. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. this sounds great! i'm very picky about my chicken salad, but I love when it includes fruit, like this one. can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a similar recipe and I also add a bit of curry and cashews to it and it adds a different flavor! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chicken salad! Have you tried it with fresh dill? A friend introduced me to it years ago, and now i have to have it when i make chicken salad. It's also yummy in potato and macaroni salads.I like that you used almonds,I'll have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to come over this morning and get the recipe. I'm making this for a special lunch to take to hubby for Valentine's Day. Enjoy Valentine's Day with your familiy!

    ReplyDelete